Saturday, October 1, 2011

The Corner of Picasso and Renoir

Our neighborhood is called the "Artists Colony," but not for the reason you might think. Although many people who live here may indeed be artists, it's really called that because the streets are all named after famous painters. Picasso, Van Gogh, Matisse,  and Monet live on, here in our little corner of the world.

Our development was built in the late 1970s, and back then, I'm sure the houses were very state-of-the art. In typical 70s style (at least in California), the structure of the homes is very linear, with few windows and very small yards. The front yards have low fences and a little swinging gate, that seem to say "stay out" and "welcome"  at the same time. The 70s were a confusing time, so this juxtaposition shouldn't be surprising.

There are about six different models  in our development, but they are all similar in that the insides are very dark and cave-like, with many walls to divide up the living space. I joke that our house is a maze, as you can easily lose your way if you've never been inside before.   I can picture it the way it might have been decorated once,  with green shag carpet and mood lighting.

I know this description doesn't sound very charming! That's what I thought at first too.  At the time we moved in, the neighborhood was in flux and many of the homes were in disrepair. The price was right though, so people were buying them up, with plans to remodel and improve.

That is what we have done too, and now I really like our little house. We've painted walls and doors and cabinets and added new fixtures, so now it's much lighter and cozier. The outside got a face-lift too. New paint, with trim added to the windows, new plantings in the yard, and that ugly fence and gate were torn down.

Our  whole  neighborhood looks so much better now, it's easy to forget its humble beginnings. It has become a little haven of cottages within the sea of newer homes that surround us.

One thing that makes our city special, is our wonderful greenbelt.  Back in the 70s (yes, THAT decade again) some enterprising citizens came up with the idea to have a path that you could walk or ride your bike on, that would take you through the entire city without having to share the road with cars. They made it happen and we are all reaping the benefits. It's fantastic really.

Throughout our neighborhood, we have a good portion of greenbelt, with the path meandering around homes, parks, beautiful plantings, and open spaces. I walk these paths almost every day.   I love that time to myself,  to ease the tensions of the day and clear the cobwebs from my head. 

The other day when I was walking,  I realized that street signs had been put up along the greenbelt to inform travelers which cross street was nearby.  Isn't that thoughtful? Then I was struck by the irony of  it all....the beauty of the greenbelt itself, the beauty of nature all around, and the creative upgrades of the homes surrounding me.  Art is all around us.  Cezanne and Michelangelo would approve.


19 comments:

  1. I have one word, "Just Gorgeous"!
    Okay...two words "Just Gorgeous"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Green with envy! Wanting a greebelt too. All we have for a walking path is the treeless irrigation canal that winds its way behind our back fence. At least there are ducks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delightful....beauty takes vision...over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even after all these years of living here and training for marathons, I'm still discovering new paths/greenbelts I never knew were there. Some great visionaries back in those 70s. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your subdivision sounds lovely, I would have love to take a stroll.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful that the families in your community have forged a unique environment together where they can flourish. Marvellous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post-you're right, the greenbelts are one of the best parts of living in our little town! That, and the public art, the care people take with keeping it clean and lovely...I adore living here!
    http://mamawolfe-living.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great neighborhood you live in. I love that everyone has made upgrades and touch-ups to their homes. It makes it more unique and certainly artistic. Walking is a great way to clear one's head at the end of a long day. It's even better when your walk can be such an aesthetic one. You have inspired me to take a walk around my neighborhood as the leaves begin to turn and this fall season gets in full swing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok that sounds amazing.I am trying t figure out were your might be since I have a feeling wee might live very close to each other {not stalking I swear} Now you need to decorate for Halloween ;0).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I needed a little art in my life today and you supplied it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a lovely, welcoming neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Michael Ann, your neighborhood and it's proximity to the green belt sounds heavenly! And the names of artists for streets, lovely! I would love to live on Degas Street or Reubens Drive! Your house must be lovely with all your loving improvements. I can only imagine how beautiful it must be come Christmas time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How delightful. We have a neighbor hood here called Poet's Corner. I don't live there but I WANTED TO. My husband thought I was crazy. You've reminded me why. OK, so I am a bit jealous. Tis a wonderful thing when people come together has your neighborhood has.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that all the street names are artists. That's really cool! There is a neighborhood not to far from me where all the street names are famous ivy league colleges and universities.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh boy, now I've set you all up to expect the English Cotswolds (I'm too lazy to look up the correct spelling of that). LOL! Brenda, Poets Corner is the perfect place for you to live! Meg, oh we have the famous college/university neighborhood here too. It IS Davis after all :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. A wonderful celebration of the creative life, to be reminded of great artists.

    Here in Aix en Provence the birthplace of Cezanne and the resting place of Picasso, we have many reminders and I realised how much this had influenced my psyche recently when I returned to New Zealand for my fathers 70th birthday. He is a sheep farmer and has spent his life breeding a certain pedigree sheep called the Perendale.

    I was asked to give a toast on this special occasion and so the day before I wrote a piece about why my father is an artist, because just as Cezanne created his masterpiece , so too has my father spent his life creating a living work of artistic integrity, perfect wool, lean body, strong head. It was a different perspective to speak to farmers and paint them as artists, but it seemed to go down well.

    A few days later my father told me he had one paddock at the back of the farm he had been struggling to think of an appropriate name for. well now I have it he said. There is a magnificent view of the whole valley, of the landscape, so I'm going to call that paddock 'Cezanne'.

    Loved your post Michael-Ann, thanks for reminding me too of this special 'Cezanne' field downunder.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great story Claire, thank you for sharing it! Sounds lovely....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Michael Ann!!
    I found your blog through Mommy Bags...I think your neighbourhood sounds so beautiful, I don't blame you for walking every day to take in the 'artistic' beauty!
    I also read your post on climbing the tree, good for you! That sounds like fun and something I would never think to do :(
    *following, have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like an idyllic place to live. Fixing things up and making them your own is often so much more satisfying, to me, than getting something brand new!
    I feel like I just took a stroll through your greenbelt and I am refreshed! Thank you!
    Jenni Combs-Pokrywka

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate what you have to say and I love to reply personally. Do you have your Google profile set to show your email so I can do that?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...