Sunday, October 23, 2011

They paved paradise...

...and put up a parking lot.  One of my favorite songs by Joni Mitchell. What a great excuse I have to feature that video today!

But today they did the opposite.

Today is Park(ing) Day, a day for artists across the world to transform parking spaces into public art.  The movement was started in 2005 in San Francisco, when staff from a local art and design studio decided to create a temporary park within the space of a few parking spaces downtown.  The idea has since grown into an international event.

The theme this year was interactive art based on the question, "How do you create a design that responds to the needs of the people?" The artists used recycled materials of all types--cardboard, paper cups, bicycle parts, tree branches, even old record albums.  Many of the displays reflected the purpose of the stores they were put in front of. Paper coffee cups were used in front of a coffee shop, cardboard dress forms in front of a clothing store, and the record albums in front of the music store.  We could walk through the displays, touch them and even sit on the "furniture" that was surprisingly sturdy.

I read about it in our local newspaper and thought it would be fun to go check it out. My son went with me and we really enjoyed it.  Here are some photos so you can experience it too.






18 comments:

  1. What a totally fun, inspiring day and event.

    This just compounds my desire to live someplace near somewhere, instead of having a 2.5 hour drive to a 'kinda' urban area!

    To be fair, I love my home. We live in a scenic paradise that rivals almost anywhere in North America, but on weekends I sometimes get itchy feet and would love to be able to take part in an activity such as this.

    Thank you for sharing, Michael Ann, and letting me tag along in a virtual sense! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the best things about the Sac/Davis area is the commitment to public art. Glad you got to go, and thanks for sharing the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheesh...guess I ought to read the paper more closely! Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun, but I'm not sure it could happen here in fuddy-duddy Virginia. Californians sound like they have so much fun. Not that we don't have our share of arts festivals. But ours are in official parks and the tents are arranged in orderly rows. I've always loved that Joni Mitchell song!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it. Can never have too much art, no matter where or what the format.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! I remember the first time I saw something made out of a recycled product. I was in high school and went into NYC to this really cool boutique called Unique. They had prom dresses made out of garbage bags. Thanks for reminding me of this. I love your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a really neat idea!! And fun for everyone....I think this would be a great project for the church to perform for the public in my community. It gives everyone in the community a chance to get involved and show their creativity.Thanks for sharing Michael Ann.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog design.Following you from the blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, that's just fabulous. Now I seriously want to try and make something like that. Only I'd give up halfway through and then someone would sit on it and it'd collapse and things would get worse from there. I can just sense it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the kind of thing I absolutely love to go see Michael Ann, I am always blown away by people's creativity. Too bad we don't live closer and could have gone together!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this, such innovative use of imagination. I think about all the time I spending writing or thinking about writing and how to manage my ideas and wonder how I every accomplish anything.. These are inspiring pictures. And, it sounds as if you had a great day with your son.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing, Michael Ann! What a TREAT for those of us who love being a part of artistic expression in all its shapes and sizes!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun event, Michael Ann! I love art and think it can be celebrated anywhere and everywhere, so why not a parking space! Yay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. ---Love this idea. I get excited about all forms of ART....& this is indeed Art! X

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the Joni Mitchell song, too! Actually, all her music is fantastic, and it's also fitting to her one of her songs in this post, because she is an artist, too, having drawn the art for her album covers.

    This art in parking spaces is fantastic. Leave it to San Francisco to once again be the leader in promoting art. I love it. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad you all enjoyed this! Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's just awesome! I would've loved to have gone!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate what you have to say and I love to reply personally. Do you have your Google profile set to show your email so I can do that?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...